Think as an Intruder12/14/2013 Back To Blog
Every good crime investigator tries to think as a criminal in order to catch the bad guy. Criminal profilers determine the behavior and scrutinize the psychology of perpetrators in order to identify them. If you want to protect your property and family, you need to follow the traces of a criminal mind, too, and explore your options on security door locks. There is a whole industry, which focuses on the mind of various criminals as an essential step to understand their methods and way of thinking. On the other hand, there is another huge industry, which provides security systems, high tech door locks and excellent consultation to fight or even prevent crime.
Think as an intruder…
Let's play a pretend game. Pretend you can't find the lost house keys or don't carry them with you and search for methods to enter your house. Go around the house and inspect the lock of each door and window and whether they are firmly shut. Try the garage door and check whether it is properly closed to the ground or there is a small gap that you can use to get in. Search for keys under the flower pots, the door mat and in the most peculiar or even obvious places around the yard and don't forget to attempt opening any door or window with an ordinary tool. That's how an intruder would think and do.
… Act as a policeman
If you managed to break into your house, you certainly lost the game and you definitely need lock replacement. It's time to act like a policeman and any specialist of Locksmith Mercer Island would recommend replacing locks and keys first. Hence:
- Start with the basics. Have all the window and entry points'locks replaced right away.
- Don't be cheap on your security and invest on good security locks that will actually make a difference to your safety.
- Install more lights in the whole perimeter of the house, especially at the entry points and make sure sensors will activate them if someone passes by.
- You may also install cameras and control your house through your computer.
- Upgrade the system often and have lock change and repair often.